What Brendan watches…
My mate Matt suggested I do an entry on what TV shows I watch, as he is currently enjoying some of my recommendations. So here you go Matt.
First on the list is Skins. Basically it’s a bunch of kids in the UK getting drunk and stoned, but it’s deeper than you would think. Great acting from mostly unknown actors (though they don’t always stay that way, the first season spawned a certain Slumdog Millionaire). It has excellent music, and great stories that range from funny, to scary, to bizarre, to moving. They also change the cast every 2 seasons as the kids age, and they also change the writers when they get too old. Finally, if you are a fan of classic British comedy, keep an eye out for some classic actors from shows such as The Fast Show, Black Books and The Mighty Boosh playing the shows adults.
It shows in Australia on SBS, and is available on DVD. There are 5 seasons, but considering there are only like 6-10 episodes per series (like most UK series) it won’t too take long to catch up. And then you’ll be like me waiting for Season 6 and also the upcoming movie.
Second on the list is Inbetweeners. Basically it’s a bunch of kids in the UK getting drunk and stoned, wait this sounds familiar. The difference between this and Skins is that these kids are definitely not cool and are absolutely hilarious. This is seriously one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. It follows the nerdy Will(aka. briefcase wanker) as he tries to fit in with his new friends Simon (an awkward boy who just wants to pull) Jay (a compulsive liar) and Neil (the dumbest kid on TV).
Great show that currently pops up on GO! every now and then, and I believe is on DVD here. New movie soon too.
This show is really excellent (and largely unknown in Australia). It is kind of like Skins crossed with the X-men. 6 kids on community service are hit by a strange storm that gives them (and many others) superpowers. Unfortunately it also turns their probation worker into a raging psycho. They are forced to kill him and spend the rest of the season covering it up, while fighting other superpowered enemies.
I can’t recommend this enough, and it recently started on ABC 2. The first 2 series are available on DVD (or as a pack with both seasons) and season 3 is starting toward the end of the year.
This post is getting bigger than expected, so I will continue it soon. However if you have seen the above shows already here’s a quick list you can’t go wrong with. I’ll look at them in a more detailed way at a later date.
- Gavin and Stacey (finished now, pick up the complete DVD set)
- The Mighty Boosh (not to everyone’s taste, but if you enjoy the bizarre it’s great)
- Being Human (UK, not US, as usual)
- Teachers (an oldie, but way to many people haven’t seen this hilarious show)
- Destination Truth (very entertaining search for monsters such as bigfoot, and sea monsters)
- Fact or Faked (basically Mythbusters for paranormal videos)
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold (most hilarious Batman show ever)
- Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes (featuring Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America. get ready for next years movie)
- Teen Wolf (so far so good, quite funny. Hopefully it can keep it up)
- Southpark (still one of the greatest shows on TV)
- Top Gear (doubt anyone who is vaguely interested hasn’t seen it, but it’s still excellent)
- Angry Boys ( not quite as good as Summer Heights High, but still great fun)
Let me know what you watch in the comments below, and I’ll try and check it out.